On August 30, 1891, the new congregation dedicated
its house of worship--part of the present sanctuary! Not until 1955 did a
Christian Education wing and indoor plumbing become a reality.
Additional space was required and in 1979, a separate Christian
Education Building and Fellowship Hall was erected in cooperation with
the IOOF Lodge. Three years earlier, Bowmansdale had become a single
charge splitting from her sister church, Mt. Pleasant (joint charge
since 1918) and purchasing its own parsonage in a nearby development.
The property east of
the bethel was purchased to allow for flexibility in future expansions.
Shortly used as a parsonage, and a rental property, it has now been demolished for expansion. In addition,
land was acquired across the Lisburn Road for expanded parking and
recreational needs and in 1992, a large pavilion was erected for recreational, fellowship and inspirational activities.
In 2001, the sanctuary was enlarged and 3,000 square foot fellowship hall and 640 square foot kitchen were built on the property east of the original building. The fellowship hall is enjoyed by many groups for fellowship, recreational activities, and church fund raising events. In 2007, a covered outdoor Bar-B-Q pit was built near the pavilion. Additional parking has also been added across Lisburn Road.
The buildings, pastors,
members and friends of Bowmansdale Church of God have changed over the
years, but much of the faith and beliefs of John Winebrenner remain. We
believe in the Bible as God's Holy Word and the only authoritative rule
of faith and practice. We believe in the Trinity, the fall of man and
our Redemption through the Blood of Christ and justification by faith
not works. As a reminder to ourselves and a sign to others, we practice
three ordinances: Believer's Baptism, Feetwashing, and the Lord's
Supper. We are today a
congregation steeped in history, alive in our present knowledge of
Jesus Christ, and committed to a future as witnesses to the Saving
Grace that is for everyone!